Saturday, November 2, 2013

Cliches

       George looked up from shoeing the horse to see the outline of Curley's wife in the doorway of the barn. They were alone. She walked towards him swaying her hips. "What're you doin' here?" George asked rudely, wanting nothing to do with her, "You shouldn't be here. This is a place for men, a woman's place is in her home."
       "Well, my home is where my heart is," smirked Curley's wife, "and I sure as hell can tell ya it ain't with Curley. Now days good men are hard to find. When I married him I knew he wasn't no diamond in the rough but I also knew that opportunity only knocks once."
       Aggravated, George said, "Listen here girley, all's fair in love and war so it ain't worth thinkin' 'bout could haves and what ifs. It ain't worth crying over split milk. You made the choices so you gotta face the music."
        Keeping eye contact she inched towards him."Look, I know we got off on the wrong foot and all, but I'm jus' askin' for a little bit of help 'cause two heads are better than one. Please will you help me be rid of Curley?"
       "Don't you go biting the hand that feeds ya. All you gotta do is keep yer chin up and stick it through 'cause good things come to those who wait. I don't want no trouble for me and Lenny. You should get goin' 'fore someone comes in here lookin' fer ya," he advised.
       "Oh alright, I'm goin'! Don't get get your knickers in a twist." she sighed. Dejected, Curley's wife turned around and with her swaying hips left the barn as quiet as mouse. To George's relief she was gone like a whisper in the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment