Monday, November 4, 2013

I Have A Dream...

Running to class.
Dodging obstacles to not be late to class.
Panting, they arrive to class.
A minute too late, and the door is locked.

     Teachers think we're trying to challenge their authority. They think we are being harshly disrespectful. They think that we don't take responsibility for our actions. They think that we are purposely tardy. None of this is true. All we did was make the mistake of sleeping in.

     We are teenagers. We are physically required to get more sleep than babies and toddlers. We are the ones, like busy computers, who stay up past midnight aiming to regurgitate knowledge to complete worthless homework. And then, we are the ones who're tormented for attempting to be thorough in our school work. How is that fair?

     When instructors give tasks to do overnight, do they not realize that every other teacher is doing the same exasperating thing? We wake up late in the morning because we're exhausted from doing endless amounts of homework the night before, the bothersome assignments that they gave us.

     Homework is pointless. It is boring. It is aggravating. We should not be the ones to suffer for our teachers' choices of giving assignments. They somehow manage to forget that we have to juggle many lives: our personal lives, work lives, social lives, and school lives. They're determined to assume school will be our first priority. Why should we even try if we continue to get in trouble for doing what they assigned?

     I have a dream that, one day, high school students won't have meaningless homework. I have a dream to abolish homework forever. I have a dream to end unnecessary agony. I have a dream that one day students won't be punished for being late. I have a dream to be educated properly without having to endure worthless consequences. I have a dream for doors to be kept open.

No comments:

Post a Comment